A long time ago (actually it was back in April) in a galaxy far, far, away, (okay, so it was right here on this website) I advised everyone who owns a website to promote, to start a blog. It is great advice, and a fantastic way to promote your business, but only if people actually read it. Some of you may be frustrated, disappointed, or you may have even given up on the whole blog idea altogether. Fear not, my friends. Help is on the way. It’s time to learn how to promote your blog. That’s right. I said PROMOTE your blog. If you can write great articles, count on friends, follow the success of the big boys, and make use of the helpful tools at your disposal, you will find more people reading your blog, leaving comments, and sharing with others. Who couldn’t use a little more of that?
Write Good Stuff… Really Good Stuff
I have said it before and I will say it again: Content is the key to success. The first step in promoting your blog is to write great content, over and over again. It must be TRUE (Timely, Readable, Useful, and Exciting). You want people to come back. Not only that, you want them to send others back to you. Don’t put something on your blog simply for the sake of having something to post. If you put more effort in to your postings, you will get more out of them. Your readers will reward you by sharing the love, and coming back often.
Use Your Network To Your Advantage
The Beatles wrote “I get by with a little help from my friends”. If you want your blog to be seen by the masses, you too will need help. Are you on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or LinkedIn? If not, you should be. It is highly likely that you have more than a handful of friends, or followers on your social networking site. Get them to help you promote your blog. Make sure that you announce to the whole community about your intent to start a blog, and what it is all about. Then you need to remind them…regularly. In this information age in which we live, attention spans are shorter, people are busier, and those friends may forget over time that you still have a blog. Encourage them to share it with their friends, foes, and everyone in between.
Do What The Big Boys Do (Or Did)
How did Apple go from always chasing Microsoft to becoming the “coolest kid in school”? How did a barely-known freshman congressman from Illinois become the President of the United States? The answer is branding. They created a brand, and applied the concepts of branding as well as anyone in history. You must do the same for your blog to be successful. You have already done it for your website, you just need to apply these same concepts to your blog. Here are some key points to remember:
- Promote Your Core Message – No doubt, you have already decided who you want to reach, what they are looking for, and what you have to offer them. Make sure you are using your blog to promote this same message.
- Keep The Message Consistent – Make sure that all of your titles, postings, comments, e-mails, etc., help to reinforce your core message or mission statement. Many a company have fallen due to not walking what they are talking. Don’t let that be you.
- Repeat the Message Often – The more people hear it, the more they know it. Make sure you are the one that sticks in their minds next time they are looking for goods/services that you offer.
Fill Your Toolbox
There are a number of tools you can utilize to further promote your blog and make sure people have access to your postings as quickly, and easily, as possible. Here’s how to take your blog to the next level:
- Pinging – This is a simple way of letting search engines and other relevant websites know that you have updated your blog. You can use a simple, free, service like Ping-O-Matic or Pingoat to do this for you.
- Social Bookmarking – These don’t do anything on their own, but they provide your posting with initial backlinks and the opportunity to be voted for and ranked highly. If you find these sites too time consuming, try IMAutomator. This service allows you to fill out one form, and have your posting drip-fed to fifteen different social bookmarking sites over the course of a month. It only takes about a minute to use, so give it a try.
- Tweet It, Post It, Like It – Make sure you announce all of your blog postings on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Do it a couple times a day to catch those that are on at different times.
So, now you have a good idea of how to promote your blog. You have no excuse for not taking the time to make sure your blog is the very best it can be. So write something great, tell your friends, brand it, and use the tools available to you. Make your blog a must-read for all of your visitors.