Are you looking to take a stab at content creation? Have you been wanting to launch an e-commerce website but are unsure of where to start? A content management system (CMS) allows business owners to create, edit, publish, and archive content, including blogs, articles, press releases, and company events using powerful online management platforms, even without a technical background. So, if this sounds like something you’re looking to learn more about, we will be delving deep into the world of CMS below.
What’s a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system, often abbreviated in the tech field as CMS, is a type of software that’s used to build websites and create content for thousands of users on the internet. The best types of content management systems typically allow you to create your website without writing any code, which is great for the early days of online business organizations. So, instead of relying on knowledge of HTML, you can have confidence in the simplified dashboard of your CSM software to do it for you.
WordPress is a commonly used CMS platform that allows users to log in to their website dashboard through a simplified interface which helps them to create pages, content, and even customize their design. So, regardless of whether you’re opening an e-commerce store, creating a specialty blog, or developing a portfolio of your work, with the help of a CSM, you have an all-in-one solution to launching your website on a budget.
What are some noteworthy features of content management systems?
Like any type of software, there are lots of different options when it comes to CMS platforms. That being said, the best content management systems commonly share the following features:
- A website dashboard: The dashboard provides users with a simple interface where they can log in and customize their website.
- Selectable themes: Depending on the type of website you launch, a CMS platform will allow you to select a pre-made template or theme with the option to change elements like the layout, colours, and fonts.
- Content editor: This feature allows you to add text, photos, and other descriptive content that you want to display on your website without the need to look at how it’s being coded (unless you want to, of course!).
- Plugins and extensions: Since every part of your CMS platforms allow your website to be simplistically modifiable, it’s important to immerse yourself in additional features that are brought through plugin and extension installation. Keep in mind that elements such as a contact form or social media integration will require a CMS-friendly plugin!
- Multiple user management: A good CMS platform will allow you to easily grant other users access to publish content on your website.
What are the benefits of using a CMS?
CMS software is a great tool to ease the process of creating a personalized website. They open up the wide web for non-techy users, which allows them to design, create, and publish content without hiring a professional web developer. While professionals are needed to scale a business, manage ever-growing services, and provide expert support, the basics of project management can be orchestrated through the use of a CMS.
That being said, here are just a few of the benefits of using CMS software to build your e-commerce website:
- No hassle publishing: A CMS makes it easy to edit and publish content through the simple dashboard setup.
- Convenient content scheduling: A CMS allows administrative flexibility by offering users the option to publish content right away or schedule posts to be published in the future.
- All business sizes are welcome: Welcome you’re a big-name brand or a start-up, CMS works to help manage any business size.
- Easy-to-operate: A CMS allows beginners to start learning about how to manage sites without relying on the high cost of development work. While they are a great setup to kick things off, when huge site maintenance is required, we recommend investing in professional web developers to make changes to your website.
- Customizable: The days of boring site themes are gone with the ability to customize your business page using a CMS. Change the theme, add a logo, and stylize the colours with ease. Also, consider installing plugins for some added features.
What are the most widely used CMS platforms?
Are you looking to install a CMS platform to help manage your e-commerce business? With countless customization options available, it’s important to select one that offers multiple features.
Here are some that are commonly used:
How much does a CMS platform cost?
Now that you know the answer to “what” and “why” a CMS platform is a good way to manage your online business, it’s time to delve deeper into “how”. What better way is there to pinpoint how you can make it happen than to understand the numbers.
While there are many free versions of CMS platforms, the best content management systems operate better when they have access to innovative features. Unfortunately, these features can be costly, so it’s important to determine your budget before selecting the type of software you want.
For example, a basic WordPress site can be as low as $100 (excluding the cost of web hosting and the domain name) and go as high as $10000 with the right addition of add-ons.
Everyone interested in starting an online store has different needs and those needs will determine the cost and future development work that’s needed to manage the site. Since an informational-based website that doesn’t sell products requires fewer features than an e-commerce website that needs the ability to keep data secure after processing payments, it’s easy to see how the cost can vary between the two separate examples.
We hope this blog helped you to better understand content management systems and what would work best for you. If you have any further questions or would help setting up and managing your CMS platform, please send us an email!
What piece of information did you find most helpful in the above blog submission? Drop a comment below to share your thoughts.